April 30, 2010

Frelinghuysen Arboretum, Morristown, NJ


Welcome to the Frelinghuysen Arboretum, on East Hanover Avenue in Morristown, NJ. For a copy of the map pictured above please see the park website
here. Across the top I have scrawled "Enjoy today, embrace tomorrow," a quote from a memorial bench in one of the park's gardens.



I have visited this park several times, as I have relatives living in East Hanover. The arboretum quickly captured my heart with its profusion of reflecting pools and fountains. If you'd like me to marry you, a yard with a reflecting pool is not a bad place to start.






The arboretum is unique in that it combines beautifully tended gardens with "native woodland" (areas left wild).


In contrast to last weekend, I was in high spirits on Saturday the 24th. The weather was clear and sunny and the temperature the perfect mix of warmth with a cool breeze, around 80 degrees. Life seemed settled and filled with potential throughout the coming summer season.



One of the most important characteristics we can possess is the ability to recover from life's obstacles. I find that I almost always recover in time, or simply forget what was bothering me. My long, medative walks outdoors are always a big help.

My path last Saturday circled the main arboretum grounds. I wanted to cross all the wooded areas, as well as exploring each formal garden. Above is the Whippany River, which runs through the north east corner of the park. Note the truck in the background - directly across the river is Route 287.





Despite the traffic passing close by, the trees along the riverbank create a peaceful, secluded feel. Above is a special place - East Hanover Avenue crosses the river. The bridge seems to merge seamlessly with the surrounding natural area. The feel of this spot is similar to many areas of New Jersey parks - very close to human habitation, but it is clear nature rules and animals like to hang out there.

Heading back towards the Haggerty Education Center, I pass through the Fern Garden, with its interesting paved walk, above.



Be sure to stop by the interpretive sign above describing the history of ferns, featuring a real fossilized fern.

A bench in the Shade Garden. A moment earlier, and I would have caught a robin posing just beneath the bench in front.

The Gazebo the photo at top is taken from is pictured above. This is "English-style" architecture, per the park brochure.

I was fascinated by the Pikaart Garden in the Sylvan Terrace part of the arboretum. Signs in braille and regular type ring the garden, describing plants geared to be enjoyed even by the blind. Each stop on the trail contains a scented or touch orient scene.


On this trip, I learned that the pretty, purple, vine-growing flowers shown above have the common name Wisteria.


This guy is a chipmunk (Tamias minimus).


A pool in the Home Demonstration Gardens.
As of this writing, it is sunny and clear on Saturday May 1st. My allergies are kickin' up something fierce, but Aengus has graciously agreed to drive up to Delaware Water Gap to explore a few trails. Hope you enjoy the sunny weekend.

No comments:

Free Hit Counter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.